Synology has limited Docker availability in the package manager to only some select models.

• 18 series:DS3018xs, DS918+, DS718+, DS218+
  • 17 series:FS3017, FS2017, RS18017xs+, RS4017xs+, RS3617xs+, RS3617xs, RS3617RPxs, DS3617xs, DS1817+, DS1517+
  • 16 series:RS18016xs+, RS2416+, RS2416RP+, DS916+, DS716+II, DS716+, DS216+II, DS216+
  • 15 series:RS815+, RS815RP+, RC18015xs+, DS3615xs, DS2415+, DS1815+, DS1515+, DS415+
  • 14 series:RS3614xs+, RS3614xs, RS3614RPxs, RS2414+, RS2414RP+, RS814+, RS814RP+
  • 13 series:RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS2413+, DS1813+, DS1513+, DS713+
  • 12 series:RS3412xs, RS3412RPxs, RS2212+, RS2212RP+, RS812+, RS812RP+, DS3612xs, DS1812+, DS1512+, DS712+, DS412+
  • 11 series:RS3411xs, RS3411RPxs, RS2211+, RS2211RP+, DS3611xs, DS2411+, DS1511+, DS411+II, DS411+
  • *10 series:RS810+, RS810RP+, DS1010+, DS710+

You can get it working on other Synology NAS by downloading the package direct from their server and doing a manual install.

I have tested this and it is working on my Synology DS416play

Or you can check if there is a newer version available in the directory tree:

Installation is basic, since there is a “Manual Install” function in the Package Center.

1. Launch Package Center

2. Click “Manual Install”

3. Upload the docker .spk you downloaded from above.

4. Install

That’s it!

Application is running

Trying to run a container

It works!

Feel free to comment to let me know if this works or not on your unsupported Synology NAS.

Angel · March 24, 2018 at 1:58 am

I had it installed for more than a half a year now and it is great. Do you ever upgrade the apk? I would like to do it but don’t know what will happen with my running containers and their configuration…

SpikeMixture · March 14, 2018 at 9:49 pm

It should be noted that this setup is for 64bit Processors on Synology NAS ONLY.

Check your model and if it has a 32 bit processor this will not work.

Marek · January 27, 2018 at 3:44 am

It doesn’t work on my DS218play 🙁 Is there any other way to install docker manually (via shell) either as the DSM package or standalone application?

fatianegra · January 17, 2018 at 2:44 am

It works well on my DS416play. (Docker-x64-17.05.0-0367.spk) Many Thanks!

Thomas · January 28, 2018 at 4:07 am

I just tried on my DS416play and it keeps saying “operation failed” just after the upload of the spk file finishes…
    I tried all versions of the Docker spk available on the Syno packages website, still the same error.
    Is there anything to do before installing Docker ? Dependencies, permissions ?

Thomas · January 28, 2018 at 4:27 am

I just finally managed to install Docker on my Synology DS416play
      I couldn’t achieve installation using the Package Center inside DSM, keeping getting “Operation failed” errors just after the upload finishes.

So what I’ve done is manually install the SPK. To do that, connect to your NAS using a SSH client and then do the following command :

sudo -i # To change user to root
      cd ~ # Go to the root home directory
      wget # Download the spk you want to install
      synopkg install Docker-x64-17.05.0-0367.spk # Install the SPK using command line

Everything went fine, and now the Docker app is visible and useable inside DSM interface !

Nils · February 7, 2018 at 6:06 pm

Thanks a lot ! It’s help me a lot! I have this message : Failed to install package Docker-x64-17.05.0-0367.spk, error = [258]

Do you know this problem ?

Tyler Woods · February 7, 2018 at 6:49 pm

We might be able help depending what NAS you have. It may not be supported with your CPU, which others have found ):

Nils · February 7, 2018 at 10:10 pm

Thanks for the answers Tyler. I have a DS1515. Do you know if it’s possible with it ?

Christian Erhardt (mojo2600) · February 17, 2018 at 6:21 am

Same here on my DS416play… I wonder how you all get this working… When i try to install it with the package manager it always states, that my NAS is incompatible. I think the error code 258 reflects that

Thomas · February 17, 2018 at 9:04 am

Did you try with my method ?
            My NAS is the DS416play with the lastest version available of DSM, so there’s no reason it should not work with yours.

Well, just to be honest, the only thing I changed on my NAS, was to upgrade the RAM memory stick to 8Go. Don’t know if this could influence Docker installation, maybe it checks the amount of available RAM before installing ?

Christian Erhardt (mojo2600) · February 17, 2018 at 1:40 pm

Hey, sorry for the comment… i’m just plain stupid… i confused the versions and mine is a DS415play not a DS416play. So all i can say is, that it will not work on the DS415play.

Tyler Woods · February 19, 2018 at 5:34 pm

Christian, mixing up your NAS version does not make you stupid!

Thanks for your confirmation that the DS415play does not work. It was worth a shot right!?

黑山老棍 (@rickyman_cn) · March 11, 2018 at 3:12 am

hello,how to install *.spk using command line ,plz

Thomas · March 11, 2018 at 11:19 am

FIrst of all you need to activate SSH access on your NAS (configuration panel, terminal, activate SSH service)

Then using an SSH client (Putty for example, if you’re on Windows), connect to your NAS with your admin account. Then type the following commands :

sudo -i
          cd ~
          synopkg install Docker-x64-17.05.0-0367.spk

The first command logs you as root on your NAS
          The second command changes the current directory to your root home directory.
          The third command downloads the spk file you want to install (before using the link I gave, check if there isn’t a new Docker SPK revision)
          The last command installs the SPK manually.

If everything goes right, you will see the new Docker application inside DSM.

Matt · January 8, 2018 at 10:12 pm

This worked great with my DS418Play and the latest Docker 17.05.0-0367. Thanks!

Rob · February 1, 2018 at 9:20 am

Downloaded it but still wont work 🙁 , asuming u used Docker-x64-17.05.0-0367.spk ?

DL · January 6, 2018 at 12:30 am

Do you think there is a chance for running the Virtual Machine Manager package on a DS418play, given it has also the same met requirements as the Docker package?

DL · January 6, 2018 at 1:07 am

I think I’ve found what I need here:

In short:
    1. Login using SSH
    2. Edit the ‘synoinfo.conf’ file:
    sudo vi /etc/synoinfo.conf
    3. Add the following line (perhaps at the end) and save:
    4. Find the ‘Virtual Machine Manager’ package on the FTP and install/upload it, like for the Docker package.
    5. Run the installed package and follow the initial steps. The activation Open vSwitch will be done automatically (that was the blocker I had and fixed by synoinfo.conf edit).

PS: Be careful when editing the system files…

Matiplus · December 27, 2017 at 5:18 am

I try to install Docker(Docker-GitLab-AllinOne-x86_64-9.4.4-0050) on my Synology ds216j , but i get info “Before instal this packed please instal the : Docker 1.6.2-0035 or newer. (” Przed instalacją tego pakietu zainstaluj następujące pakiety: Docker w wersji 1.6.2-0035 lub nowszej”)
Any idea how do this

T · October 11, 2017 at 5:56 am

On the DS418, running DSM 6.1.3-15152 Update 6, I got error for both last available spk’s:

“this package is not supported on the platform of Diskstation or is incompatible with the current DSM version”

“This package requires DSM version 6.1-15163 or onward”

Tyler Woods · October 11, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Thank you for letting us know! That’s unfortunate because your NAS should be 64-bit capable.

I came across a shell-driven installation method, however I have not tested and would not advise proceeding unless you know what you are doing. If I can test one day I will write an article.

#if not already running as root, become root

sudo su

#install ipkg, a package manager

curl > bootstrap.xsh; bash bootstrap.xsh

#install iptables and brige-utils to obtain some extra kernel modules

ipkg install iptables bridge-utils

#the following steps need to be repeated whenever the kernel is restarted

while read module; do
    insmod /lib/modules/$module
    done << EOF

#run docker! if you haven’t already got docker binaries, download and install them:

docker daemon &
    docker run –rm -ti debian /bin/bash
    root@6370bee3fc36:/# echo ‘eat my shorts!’

T · October 12, 2017 at 4:23 am

Thanks. That sounds a bit too advanced :-). I think I’ll upgrade to DS918+ with native support for Docker. Since a lot of other packages I’m using (python/sabnzbd) are not yet available, I need Docker for this.

Tyler Woods · October 12, 2017 at 8:35 am

I’d have to agree with you there! At a certain point you gotta stop jimmy-rigging things when there’s no support for it, right? xD

Good luck!

Anders · December 6, 2017 at 9:59 am

I get the same error on my DS415play with these conditions;

DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 2

Juan Morales · October 9, 2017 at 10:03 am

Thanks. Im going to try this in my DS1515. Do you know how to install GitLab afterwards?